Brother relations are very delicate. Especially if there is a sibling with attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder, the problems increase. ELELE Child and Family Psychological Counseling Development and Education Center Specialist Psychological Counselor Aslı Bozbey Akalın Çocuklar Children with a sibling with ADHD may try to imitate their sibling's behavior to get attention from their parents, or he says.
Social interaction is a concept that affects a person's life, view of life and most importantly self-perception starting from childhood. Social development, which has been founded in the family environment, and thus social skills, are beginning to enrich and shape with the transition to the school environment. ELELE Child and Family Psychological Counseling Development and Education Center Specialist Psychological Counselor Aslı Bozbey Akalın, “For the first time, children experience feelings of friendship, support, sharing, cooperation, and protection in their relationships with their siblings, and thus have the opportunity to learn their first social skills. Brothers are an integral part of children's social lives. Relationships and shared experiences with the brother will enrich one's life, and may even affect their future choices. Erek
If Brother has Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder Kard
Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are among the developmental differences that are considered em undetectable göre according to some researchers. Indeed, children with ADHD are often described by society as naughty children. Therefore, it is much more difficult for siblings to understand and accept their parents' attitude to the child with ADHD than siblings of children with different ailments. ”Children have difficulty understanding why their parents spend more time with their siblings, unless they are informed about the situation of their siblings, and they may get jealousy, worthlessness, anger.” He continues: immediately with the eye. Impulsive behavior, violating the rules, not being able to control their anger, and so on. they also have difficulty in maintaining friendship. For the same reasons, there are often conflicts and fights in their relationship with their siblings. ”
A socially incompatible brother will adversely affect both the quality of the sibling relationship and the social development of the other child. Göre According to social learning theory, children learn social skills by modeling or imitating, Ak says Akalın. In addition, transferring the negative social skills learned during conflicts with siblings to other settings (school, friendship relations) will also negatively affect the social and thus personality development of the normal developing child. On the other hand, because of the negative behavior of the child with ADHD, the inability to invite friends to the house or not to participate in social settings with the sibling may cause the sibling to be deprived of social activities. ”
What can be done?
Aslı Bozbey Akalın lists her suggestions:
• By informing your child of his or her brother's condition, you can ask him for help in some matters and give him age-appropriate responsibilities for his brother. This will make your child feel less excluded.
• On the days you take your ADHD child to check up, you can ask him / her to participate in the interview. Being there will make it easier for him to understand his brother's situation.
• You can benefit from his observation and support by contacting your child's school counselor.
• Create opportunities to spend time with peers.
• Have your child participate in Sister Support Groups with siblings of children with ADHD. In this way, they have the opportunity to share the problems they have with other children who are in similar situations and to learn what their coping methods are.
ELELE Child and Family Counseling Development and Education Center
(0212) 223 91 07